A number of people asked for a ‘workshop’ to see how to make Indonesian Banana Hearts (flowerhead). Truly showed a group of us how.
Ingredients for family of four:
270ml coconut milk
1 banana heart
salt – lots of it
basil – a handful
The picture actually shows the ingredients for about a dozen people.
1) Remove the outer leaves of the banana heart
2) Chop as fine as possible, cutting at an angle, not straight down
3) Add a lot of salt to remove sticky latex (?). Knead for a few minutes until it doesn’t feel sticky
4) Boil until soft
5) Meanwhile peel shallots and grind in a processor, or by hand
6) Drain heart, rinse in cold water, squeeze out salty water
7) Fry shallots, add coconut milk, low gas
9) Chop as many chillies as you like (we had five for a medium level), put in meal for a few minutes
10) Add basil leaves, not stalks, at the end, after removing from heat
We had a couple of other dishes to go with it. It was delicious. Many thanks to Truly, Kamala and Baby for doing the hard work, and thanks to all those who turned up to savour the treat.